Jacob van Ruisdael
oil on canvas
53.2 x 60 cm (20 15/16 x 23 5/8 in)
Baron Etienne Martin de Beurnonville [1789-1876], château de la Chapelle, Labbeville, Val d'Oise; (his estate sale, by Pillet, Paris, 9-14 and 16 May 1881[12 May], no. 453); (Charles Sedelmeyer, Paris). Prince Johann II of Liechtenstein [1840-1929], Vienna and later Vaduz, by 1896;  (Frederick Mont, New York); purchased 18 October 1951 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1961 to NGA.  The first reference to the existence of the painting in the Liechtenstein Collection is in 1896 (see Wilhelm von Bode, Die Fürstlich Liechtenstein'sche Galerie in Wien, Vienna, 1896, 99). Waagen's account of a Ruisdael Landscape with a Bridge in the Liechtenstein Collection (Gustav Friedrich Waagen, Die vornehmsten Kunstdenkmäler in Wien, Vienna, 1866, 287), must refer to a different work because the Washington painting was sold by the Baron de Beurnonville only in 1881. The provenance given in Strohmer's 1943 catalogue of the Liechtenstein Collection (Erich V. Strohmer, Die Gemäldegalerie des Fürstern Liechtenstein in Wien, Vienna, 1943) is incorrect; in the 1948 Lucerne exhibition catalogue (Meisterwerke aus den Sammlungen des Fürsten von Liechtenstein, Kunstmuseum), this painting's provenance was associated with the wrong painting.  The bill from Frederick Mont to the Kress Foundation for three paintings from the Liechtenstein collection, including this one, is dated 18 October 1951; payment was made four days later (copy of annotated bill in NGA curatorial files).