Madonna and Child
papier mache and stucco, painted and gilded
119.4 x 95.6 cm (47 x 37 5/8 in)
A villa in Fasano, Lago di Garda.  Baron Max von Heyl, Darmstadt; (Julius Böhler, Munich); sold 30 July 1931 to William Randolph Hearst [1863-1951], San Simeon, California.  (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.  Provenance according to Ulrich Middeldorf, Complete Catalogue of the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Sculptures XIV-XIX Century, London, 1976: 75.  Information about Hearst's ownership can be found in The William Randolph Hearst Collection: photographs and acquisition records on microfiche, Taylor Coffman, ed., New York, 1987: fiche 252. Mary Levkoff of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art kindly brought these records to the NGA's attention (see her letter of 19 September 2006 in NGA curatorial files). It appears from a hand-written notation on the typed information sheet in the Hearst files that the sculpture was sold at the 1942 Gimbel Brothers sale of the Hearst collection. This is possibly where Duveen Brothers purchased it.