Tuscan 15th Century
Madonna and Child
terracotta, painted and gilded
without tabernacle: 66.7 x 45.7 cm (26 1/4 x 18 in)
Leopoldo Nomi, San Gimignano; Teresa Nomi Pesciolini, San Gimignano; sold 1923 to (Professor Luigi Grassi [1858-1937], Florence); Achille De Clemente, Florence; Alfredo Barsanti, Rome [d. 1946], from 1928;  by inheritance to his daughter, Adele Barsanti Mericci, Rome; purchased 1952 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1961 to NGA.  Provenance according to notes written by Alfredo Barsanti, dated 29 November 1951.  According to a letter from Perry B. Cott dated 2 December 1952 (in NGA curatorial files), Kress bought the sculpture directly from Adele Barsanti Mericci.