Madonna and Child Enthroned with Donor
tempera on poplar panel
painted surface: 125.3 x 50.7 cm (49 5/16 x 19 15/16 in)
Church of San Giorgio, Porto San Giorgio (the port of Fermo); recorded in 1771 and probably remained in the church until it was demolished in 1803; temporarily in the church of the Suffragio, then with the Salvadori family, Porto San Giórgio, by 1832; installed 1834 in the rebuilt church of San Giorgio; sold by Luigi Salvadori, then resold 1835 by the prior of the commune of Porto San Giorgio, to Henry Hudson, Portuguese embassy, Rome.  William Ward, 1st earl of Dudley [1817-1885, created earl 1860], Witley Court, Worcestershire, by 1851; (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 7 April 1876, no. 135 [same lot as four other panels from Porto San Giórgio polyptych]); purchased by (Martin Colnaghi, London).  Sir Francis Cook, 1st bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House and Cothay Manor, Somerset; sold 31 October 1944 through (Francis A. Drey, London) to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1952 to NGA.  According to Pietro Zampetti, Carlo Crivelli, Florence, 1986: 254-255, after a statue of Saint George was installed on the high altar of the rebuilt church, the polyptych was returned to the Salvadori family, who sold it to the collector Hudson. Contesting the Salvadori, the prior of Porto San Giorgio claimed ownership for the commune, and resold the painting to Hudson for a higher price.  Algernon Graves, Art Sales From Early in the Eighteenth Century to Early in the Twentieth Century, 3 vols., London, 1918-1923: 1:184.  According to the July-December 1944 report of the keeper of the Cook collection (transcription in NGA curatorial files, from the Cook Collection Archive in care of John Somerville, England), and the invoice from Drey to the Kress Foundation (copy in NGA curatorial files).