click image to enlarge

Sebastiano Ricci and Marco Ricci
Memorial to Admiral Sir Clowdisley Shovell

K1956
1474
1725
oil on canvas
Painting
222.1 x 158.8 cm (87 7/16 x 62 1/2 in)
Commissioned by Owen McSwiny for Charles Lennox, 2d duke of Richmond [1701-1750], Goodwood, Sussex, and Somerset House, London, by 1726; by descent to Charles Lennox, 4th duke of Richmond [1764-1819]; (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 26 March 1814, no. 48); bought by P. Hill. [1] Sir Richard Colthurst, Cork, Ireland. (David M. Koetser Gallery, New York, London, and Zurich); [2] purchased 1953 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.

[1] The circumstances of commission and the painting's sale are discussed in the NGA systematic catalogue entry (Diane De Grazia and Eric Garberson, Italian Paintings of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, Washington, D.C., 1996: 237-242). Martha Hepworth of the Getty Provenance Index provided an annotated copy of the 1814 Goodwood sale catalogue and has identified P. Hill "almost certainly" as the London dealer Philip Hill, about whom little is known (letter of 8 June 1990, NGA curatorial files).
[2] Fern Rusk Shapley, Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools XVI-XVIII Century, London, 1973: 132, and Fern Rusk Shapley, Catalogue of Italian Paintings, 2 vols., Washington, D.C., 1979: 1:404. According to a typed notation in the NGA curatorial files of a letter from David Koetser of 23 October 1954, Koetser acquired the painting through an agent working for an old English family whose name he would not divulge to Koetser.
1961.9.58
1956
1610
Record Link