Monsignor della Casa
oil on panel
102 x 78.9 cm (40 3/16 x 31 1/16 in)
Marchese Bargagli [family of the sitter], Florence. (Trotti et Cie., Paris, by 1909, as by Sebastiano del Piombo);  on joint account 1912-1922 with (M. Knoedler & Co., London, New York, and Paris); (Trotti et Cie., Paris), from 1922. (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence and Rome). (D'Atri, Paris and Rome). (Pinakos, Inc., New York) on joint account with (M. Knoedler & Co., London, New York and Paris); sold 6 February 1952 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1961 to NGA.  The painting was exhibited at Galerie Trotti in 1909.  M. Knoedler and Co. Records, Series II, Box 76 (Sales Book No. 16, Paintings, 1945-1953), Getty Research Institute (copy NGA curatorial files); the painting is listed as by Sebastiano del Piombo.