Gian Lorenzo Bernini
Monsignor Francesco Barberini
with base: 80.01 x 65.88 x 25.72 cm (31 1/2 x 25 15/16 x 10 1/8 in)
Cardinal Francesco Barberini [1597-1679], Rome; Palazzo Barberini alle Quatro Fontaine, Rome, by 1627; transferred 1635 to the Barberini's Palazzo alla Cancelleria, Rome; returned to Palazzo Barberini alle Quatro Fontane, Rome, until at least 1948;  sold to (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); sold July 1950 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1961 to NGA.  For these details of the Barberini family's ownership, see Catherine Hess' entry in Bernini and the Birth of Baroque Portrait Sculpture, exh. cat., The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 2008-2009, Los Angeles, 2008: 125-128. Documents in NGA curatorial files indicate that the Barberini family was attempting to sell the sculpture as early as April 1948.  See the contract between Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi and the Kress Foundation for the purchase of 125 paintings and one sculpture (NGA 1961.9.102), formally ratified 6 July 1950 (copy in NGA curatorial files).