Moretto da Brescia
oil on panel
175.8 x 98.5 cm (69 3/16 x 38 3/4 in)
George Francis Wyndham, 4th Earl of Egremont [d. 1845], Orchard Wyndham, Somerset, England; life interest inherited by his widow, Jane Roberts Wyndham, Countess of Egremont [d. 1876], Orchard Wyndham; by inheritance to William Wyndham [d. 1914], Orchard Wyndham; (Wyndham [Egremont] sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 26 November 1892);  Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd Bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd Bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th Bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset;  (Francis A. Drey, London); sold February 1947 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1952 to NGA.  See 9 June 1988 letter from Martha Hepworth at the Getty Provenance Index, in NGA curatorial files.  The record of the sale to the Kress Foundation (see note 3) states that the painting is from "the collection of the late Sir Herbert Cook of Richmond (Surrey) England." The 4th Bt. inherited the Cook collection and managed its dispersal after World War II with the trustees of the Cook estate.  Drey sold five Cook paintings to the Kress Foundation, including the Moretto (bill of sale dated 18 February 1947; copy in NGA curatorial files).