Venetian 14th Century
60.2 x 21.5 x 8.9 cm (23 11/16 x 8 7/16 x 3 1/2 in)
(Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Rome); purchased July 1930 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1960 to NGA.  The bill of sale for the purchase of this sculpture and two others in the same group, NGA 1960.5.11 and .12 (along with twenty paintings) is dated 16 July 1930; payment was made in three installments through November 1930 (copy in NGA curatorial files). Ulrich Middeldorf's entry that includes the sculpture contains an error: the year of the Kress Foundation's acquisition is incorrectly given as 1954 (Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century, London, 1976: 12).