click image to enlarge

Juan de Flandes
The Baptism of Christ

K1945
2086
Flemish
c. 1508/1519
oil on panel
Painting
painted surface: 124.2 x 79 cm (48 7/8 x 31 1/8 in)
Altarpiece of the "capilla mayor (main chapel)," church of San Lázaro, Palencia, commissioned c. 1508, until at least 1761. [1] Acquired c. 1952 by (Frederick Mont, New York); [2] purchased 11 February 1953 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.

[1] Don Sancho de Castilla made the commission. A 1761 document confirming its presence in the church was discovered by Ignace Vandevivere, Primitifs flamands. Corpus. La cathédrale de Palencia et l'église paroissiale de Cervera de Pisuerga, Brussels, 1967: 45.
[2] In 1952 all four panels now in the Gallery (1961.9.22-.25) were with Frederick Mont in New York; see letter of 28 October 1952 from Chandler R. Post to Mont in NGA curatorial files. Mont refers to having bought the pictures in Spain in a letter dated 16 April 1953 to Wilhelm Valentiner (Valentiner Papers, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington: microfilm reel no. 2143; copies in NGA curatorial files).
1961.9.25
1945
1385
Record Link