Master of Heiligenkreuz
The Death of Saint Clare
oil on panel
painted surface: 66.3 x 54 cm (26 1/8 x 21 1/4 in)
Possibly the Convent of the Poor Clares, Eger (Cheb), Bohemia (now Czechoslovakia), or Eger (Erlau), Hungary.  (Karl Schäfer, Munich); (Walter Schnackenberg, Munich), 1921/1922-1951;  in 1943 a one-third share was acquired from Schnackenberg by Carl Langbehn, Munich, and passed by inheritance to his mother, Marta Langbehn.  owned jointly by (Seiler & Co., Walter Schnackenberg, and Alfred Müller, Munich);  sold 1951 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York, with Pinakos, Inc. [Rudolf Heinemann]);  purchased 1951 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 by exchange to NGA.  Alfred Stange, Deutsche Malerei der Gotik, 11 vols., Berlin and Munich, 1934-1961: 11:4. In a letter of 13 February 1965 to Fern Rusk Shapley, in NGA curatorial files, Stange gave Prince Joseph Clemens of Bavaria as the source, but noted that while there was a convent of the Poor Clares in Bohemian Eger in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, Clemens did not specify Czechoslovakia or Hungary and so both were possible. There is no verification for the statement in Colin Eisler, Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian, Oxford, 1977: 234, that the panel may have belonged to the Kings of Saxony.  English translation of Walter Schnackenberg letter of 12 April 1951 in files of M. Knoedler & Co., New York, giving date of acquisition from Karl Schäfer. Stange's letter of 13 February 1965 also mentions Schäfer as handling the painting.  Schnackenberg letter of 12 April 1951. Carl and Marta Langbehn are listed as owners in a Knoedler brochure, in NGA curatorial files.  M. Knoedler & Co. account book.  M. Knoedler & Co. account book.