click image to enlarge

Antwerp 16th Century (Possibly Matthys Cock)
The Martyrdom of Saint Catherine

K1696
2241
Netherlandish
c. 1540
oil on plywood, transferred from panel
Painting
62.2 x 118.2 cm (24 1/2 x 46 9/16 in)
(Van Diemen Gallery, Berlin). [1] Acquired 1926 in Berlin by Karl Rössler, until 1947. [2] (Van Diemen-Lilienfeld Galleries, New York); sold 1950 Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 by exchange to NGA. [1] The catalogue of the Exposition d'Art flamand ancien (Antwerp, 1930), no. 53, gives the owner as Dr. Benedict; this refers to Curt Benedict who was with the Van Diemen Gallery, part of a group of galleries under the umbrella organization of the Margraf Concern. The initial ownership of the painting by the Van Diemen-Margraf Gallery is verified in a letter of 27 January 1951 from Karl Lilienfeld to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, in NGA curatorial files. [2] This picture was acquired from Rössler in 1940 by the dealer Walter Paech in Amsterdam. Paech sold the painting to Hans Posse, for Hitler's planned museum in Linz. (See Linz inventory no. 1368, as by Brueghel, National Archives RG260/Boxes 428, 430, copies NGA curatorial files). The records of the Munich Central Collecting Point indicate that the painting was recovered at Alt Aussee and restituted to the Netherlands on 4 March 1946 (See Munich property card #4347/2996, National Archives RG260/Munich Central Collecting Point/Box 501 and Dutch Receipt for Cultural Property no. 8A, dated 7 March 1946, National Archives RG260/Munich Central Collecting Point/Box 288, both copies NGA curatorial files.) The painting was restituted to Rössler on 23 May 1947 (see documentation provided by the Dutch Inspectie Culuurbezit in letter dated 5 February 2002, in NGA curatorial files.)
1952.2.18
1696
1101
Record Link