An Episode from the Life of Publius Cornelius Scipio
oil on canvas
74.8 x 356.2 cm (29 7/16 x 140 1/4 in)
Probably commissioned by Francesco Cornaro, Palazzo Corner-Mocenigo a San Polo, Venice. Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London; sold 1873 to Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey;  by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd Bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd Bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th Bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; sold February 1948 to (Gualtiero Volterra, London) for (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence);  sold March 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1952 to NGA.  Maurice Brockwell, Abridged Catalogue of the Pictures at Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey, in the Collection of Sir Herbert Cook, London, 1932: no. 133.  See copies of correspondence in NGA curatorial files, from the Cook Collection Archive in care of John Somerville, England. Volterra was Contini-Bonacossi's agent in London.  The Kress Foundation made an offer to Contini-Bonacossi on 4 March 1949 for a group of twenty-one paintings, including the Bellini; the offer was accepted on 10 March 1949 (see copies of correspondence in NGA curatorial files).