90 x 52 cm (35 7/16 x 20 1/2 in)
Possibly the Manfredi family, Florence.  Possibly a church, Naples, in the late 19th century.  Henry Harris [d. 1950], London.  (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); purchased June 1937 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1939 to NGA.  This information comes from the bill of sale between Contini-Bonacossi and the Kress Foundation; see note 4.  Francesco Caglioti, e-mail to Alison Luchs, 1 May 2009, in NGA curatorial files.  Wilhelm R. Valentiner ("The Early Development of Domenico Gagini," The Burlington Magazine [May 1940]: 76) and Ulrich Middeldorf (Complete Catalogue of the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Sculptures XIV-XIX Century, London, 1976: 60-61) place the sculpture in the Harris collection, but do not indicate when.  The bill of sale for the purchase of a number of paintings and this sculpture is dated 18 June 1937; copy in NGA curatorial files.