Workshop of Albrecht Altdorfer
The Rule of Bacchus [left panel]
oil on hardboard, transferred from panel
left panel: 39 x 15.9 cm (15 3/8 x 6 1/4 in)
Professor Wieser, Innsbruck, by 1891.  Lacher von Eisack, Bad Tölz, Oberbayern.  (Paul Cassirer, Berlin).  Baron Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza [1875-1947], Schloss Rohoncz, Hungary, and later Villa Favorita, Lugano-Castagnola, Switzerland, by 1930;  by inheritance to his son, Baron Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza [1921-2002], Villa Favorita; acquired 1950 by (M. Knoedler & Co., New York);  purchased February 1951 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.  As per Max Friedländer, Albrecht Altdorfer, der Maler von Regensburg, Leipzig, 1891: 56, no. 27.  Cited by Rudolf Heinemann, Stiftung Sammlung Schloss Rohoncz, Lugano-Castagnola, 1937: 2.  Information from annotated copy of Sammlung Schloss Rohoncz, Exh. cat. Neue Pinakothek, Munich, 1930, in the possession of Mrs. Walter Feilchenfeldt, Sr., Zurich, per letter of 28 January 1989 to John Hand in the object file (1952.5.31.a-c), NGA curatorial filess. Colin Eisler, Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian, Oxford, 1977: 35, erroneously listed Walter Feilchenfeldt as owning the picture.  Sammlung Schloss Rohoncz, Exh. cat. Neue Pinakothek, Munich, 1930: no. 4.  Knoedler commission book no. 4, p. 143, no. CA 3724 and sales book no. 16, p. 334, M. Knoedler & Co. Records, Getty Research Institute (copies NGA curatorial files).