oil on panel
106.7 x 135.9 cm (42 x 53 1/2 in)
Probably Lord Kingsdale, England.  Probably Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London;  probably (sale, Robinson, Fisher and Harding, London, 19 March 1925, no. 5). Ing. Gianfranceschi, Bergamo; sold to Anna Barbato, Naples; (Gino Longhi, Bergamo and Naples), by 1926.  (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence and Rome); sold June 1933 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1939 to NGA.  The bill of sale for several paintings being sold by Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi to the Kress Foundation, including this one, describes the painting as "formerly in the Collection of Lord Kingsdale, Eng." (copy in NGA curatorial files). There is no name spelled "Kingsdale" in Burke's Peerage. The closest possibility is "Kingsale," and the two persons with the title "Lord Kingsale" that might be relevant were Michael William de Courcy, 25th lord Kingsale (1822-1895), and his son, Michael Constantine de Courcy, 26th lord Kingsale (1855-1931).  Robinson's name appears in 1925 sale catalogue, which includes neither dimensions or reproduction, so it is not certain the painting described is the NGA one.  K.R.S., "A Fine Luini Found at Bergamo," The Art News (6 November 1926): 1. The article states that Barbato and Longhi "are now together its [the painting's] actual proprietors."  See note 1; the bill of sale is dated 23 June 1933.