The Adoration of the Child with Saints and Donors
tempera on panel
185.4 x 181 cm (73 x 71-1/4 in)
Commissioned by Niccolo Ragnoli for the Church of San Michele, Faenza, until c. 1805.  Marchese Filippo Hercolani, Bologna, from c. 1805. Rev. William Stogdon, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Middlesex, by 1905.  (Arthur Tooth & Sons, London); sold 1917 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., Paris and New York);  Carl W. Hamilton, [1886-1967] New York, in 1922.  (Duveen Brothers, Inc., New York, as Giovan Battista Utili) by 1930;  sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] in 1937; gift 1939 to the National Gallery of Art; deaccessioned in 1952 and returned to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift 1961 to Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa, no. 1961.9.19.  Listed in the 1682 and 1685 inventories of the church; noted as sold in the 1805 inventory.  Published by Roger Fry, "On a Florentine picture of the Nativity," Burlington Magazine VII (1905): 70, repro., as Stogdon collection. Not included in the 1922 Christie's London sale of John Stogden of the same address.  Duveen "X-Book," Duveen Brothers Records, Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, no. 960015, Microfilm Reel 422, Folio 80.  Hamilton acquired many of his paintings from Duveen on credit; he returned many of the Duveen paintings in May 1921, and most of the other paintings seem to have made their way back to the dealers who had sold them to Hamilton.  Shipped from Duveen Paris to New York, 14 May 1930, Consular Invoices 1929-1930, Duveen Brothers Records, Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, no. 960015, Box 136 Folder 3.
Gift to National Gallery of Art, June 29, 1939
Deaccession by National Gallery of Art, October 15, 1952
Gift to Philbrook Museum of Art, December 09, 1961