oil on canvas
114.3 x 98.7 cm (44-3/8 x 38-1/8 in)
Stroganoff Collection, Leningrad.  (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955] Rome-Florence); sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 1 September 1939; gift 1943 to the National Gallery of Art; deaccessioned in 1952 and returned to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift 1962 to the Museum of Art, Science and Industry, Bridgeport, CT; gift 2002 to the Bellarmine Museum of Art, Fairfield University, no. K1178.  This may refer to Count Grigory Sergeievich Stroganoff [1829-1910] whose collection was housed in a palazzo in Rome. After his death the collection was dispersed and Contini Bonacossi acquired a number of paintings that were ultimately sold to Kress. This picture, however, is not included in Pieces de choix de la collection du Comte Gregoire Stroganoff à Rome, 2 vols, Rome, 1911-1912.
Loan to National Gallery of Art, February 21, 1941
Gift to National Gallery of Art, March 31, 1943
Deaccession by National Gallery of Art, October 15, 1952