Consecration of a Franciscan Friar
oil on canvas
47.3 x 37.2 cm (18-5/8 x 14-5/8 in)
Arnold van Buuren [1873-1943], Naarden, Netherlands;  (A. Mak Van Waay, Amsterdam,van Buuren Sale, 26-27 May 1925, lot n. 65). Anonymous Collection, Vienna. (Benno Geiger, Venice) in 1938.  (Accorusio Accorsi, Bologna). (Carlo Foresti, Carpi, Modena). (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955], Rome-Florence); sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 1 September 1939; gift to El Paso Museum of Art in 1961, no. 1961.1.42.  From 1921, dealer Leo Nardus [1868-1955] entrusted his collection to his friend, Arnold van Buuren; in July 1928, Nardus and van Buuren agreed to become joint owners of the collection of paintings and that both were authorised to sell works, the proceeds of which would be divided.  Benno Geiger, Magnasco, Bergamo, 1949, p. 78 writes that he found K1192 and K 1222 in Vienna in 1938 and took them to Italy.