Attributed to Alesso Baldovinetti
oil on panel
36.2 x 29.5 cm (14-1/4 x 11-5/8 in)
Possibly acquired in Italy by an ancestor of Madame Mihalyffy, née Hartmann, Budapest; Mariano Rocchi, Rome, c. 1909.  (Wildenstein & Co., New York) in 1940; sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 31 December 1942; gift to the Snite Museum of Art, University of Notre Dame in 1962, n.62.17.1.  According to Fern Rusk Shapley, Paintings form The Samuel H. Kress Collection, Italian School XIII-XV century, London, 1966, p. 114, the painting is mentioned in "Collection of Objects oj Art and Antiquities of Chevalier Prof. Mariallo Rocchi", Rome, Via Nazionale, 243, Rome, p. 85. This pamphlet is undated but the reference to KI334 is in a section of the pamphlet which is a translation of an article by G. Stiavelli in Ars et Labor, 15 February 1909, Milan. It is unclear if Madam Mihalyffy owned the painting before or after Rocchi.