Francesco di Giorgio Martini
Madonna and Child with Two Angels
tempera on panel
73.4 x 46.4 cm (28-7/8 x 18-1/4 in)
Abazia di Sant'Eugenio in Pliosiano, known as Monistero, Siena. Count Guiccioli, Siena in 1907;  sold to Dan Fellows Platt [1873-1938], Englewood, New Jersey in 1909;  sold November 1943 by the Trustees of the Platt Estate to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift 1961 to the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, Coral Gables, no.61.025.000  The painting is mentioned in "Siena and her Artists" by Frederick H. Seymour, London, 1907, as in the Count Guiccioli Collection in Siena. The author states that the painting "equals in sweetness the one mentioned above in the Monistero", p. 136.  See Dan Fellows Platt Papers, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University, NJ; box 2, folder 23, call number C0860. In Platt's papers, the painting is mentioned as formerly in the Monistero Sant'Eugenio near Siena.
Loan to National Gallery of Art, January 23, 1946
Gift to Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, December 09, 1961