click image to enlarge

Bernardo Strozzi
Hagar and the Angel

K1532
2850
Italian
shortly after 1630
oil on canvas
Painting
124.2 x 94 cm (48-7/8 x 37 in)
Art market, Rome, by 1914. Eugen [d.1922] and Hedwig Hirsch [d.1941] Platky, Leipzig, by 1915. [1] Acquired in 1941 by (Herbert Bier, London) in partnership with (Frederick Mont, New York); sold entirely to Mont in October 1941; [2] sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 2 March 1948; gift to the Seattle Art Museum in 1961, n. 61.168. [1] Mentioned as in Platky collection in Eduard Plietzsch, "Gemäldegalerie: Einige neue Erwerbungen," in Amtliche Berichte aus den Königlichen Kunstsammlungen, October 1915, p. 5. [2] Inventory no. 223, Herbert Bier Archives, Wallace Collection, London. Elizabeth Mignon Aber, daughter of Eugen and Hedwig Platky, emigrated to Britain in the 1930s and brought with her a portion of the family art collection, some of which was later sold at auction in London in 1962. Items from the collection remaining in Germany were sold in December 1941 and July 1942; before which this painting was already in the possesion of Bier in London. This picture is not among those listed as missing from the Platky collection on the www.lostart.de website.
61.168
1532
Record Link