The Nativity with Shepherds
oil on canvas
220.7 x 174 cm (86-7/8 x 68-1/2 in)
Original commission c. 1507 by the church of San Giuseppe, Belluno, church suppressed in 1807; Stefano Ticozzi, Belluno, still in 1817 as Titian. Casa Ponte, Fonzasco Italy, by 1833 until at least 1877. (Carrer, Venice) c. 1880. S.H. Fraser, Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, Northumberland, England; (his sale, Christie's, London, 27 May 1882, no. 58, as Titian); bought by WIllian Dyer for Sir William James Farrer, London; (his sale, Christie's, London, 23 March 1912, no. 67 as Titian); Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd Bart. [1844-1920], Doughty House, Surrey, England; inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House; (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955], Rome-Florence); sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 11 July 1948; gift 1961 to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, no. 61.65.