After Hans Memling
The Passion of Christ
oil on pinewood panel
80.7 x 127.3 cm (31-3/4 x 50-1/8 in)
Commissioned by 1672 by Peter van Nieuwmunster and his wife, Helena van Crombrugge; their descendants/heirs, still in 1864. Otlet; (sale, Salle Sainte-Gudule, Brussels, 19 December 1902, no. 2, as school of Memling). J. D. Farr; (his sale, Christies, London, 24 January 1903, no. 138); bought by Graham, probably bought in for Farr. Baron Raoul Kuffner de Diószegh [1886-1961]; presumably removed from Castle Diószegh between 1930-1938, and brought to New York;  (Paul Drey Gallery, New York); sold 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift 1953 to University of Arizona Museum of Art, Tucson; returned to Kress in 1957; gift to Williams College Museum of Art in 1960, n. 60.14.  The removal of the painting collection from Diószegh Castle between 1930-1938 is mentoned in the "Prefatory Note,” to the Parke-Bernet Galleries sales catalogue of Dutch and Flemish Old Masters and Italian Renaissance Paintings from the Diószegh collection held in New York, 18 November 1949.