click image to enlarge

Aragonese Master or Valencian Master
Saint Peter

K1582
2890
Spanish
about 1400
tempera on pine panel
Painting
center: 73 5/8 × 34 1/4 in. (187 × 87 cm); left: 74 × 4 5/8 in. (188 × 11.7 cm); right: 74 1/2 × 4 5/8 in. (189.2 × 11.7 cm); framed: 81 1/2 × 44 3/4 × 4 1/4 in. (207 × 113.7 × 10.8 cm)
Madrazo Collection, Madrid. [1] Probably Baron Karl Kuffner de Diószegh [1867-1924], Castle Diószegh, Hungary; his son Baron Raoul de Kuffner de Diószegh [1886-1961], presumably removed from Castle Diószegh between 1930-1938, and brought to New York; [2] (Paul Drey Gallery, New York); sold 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; on loan to the Birmingham Museum of Art, 1959; gift of the Kress Foundation to the Birmingham Museum of Art in 1961, no. 1961.115. [1] According to the catalogue published by the Birmigham Museum of Art, The Samuel H. Kress Collection, 1959, p. 431. This owner may be one of the Madrazo family of Spanish artists, critics and museum directors. See entries on several family members in The Dictionary of Art, ed. Jane Turner, vol. 20, New York,1996, pp. 57-60. [2] This painting was probably originally purchased by Baron Karl Kuffner. The removal of the painting collection from Diószegh Castle between 1930-1938 is mentoned in the "Prefatory Note,” to the Parke-Bernet Galleries sales catalogue of Dutch and Flemish Old Masters and Italian Renaissance Paintings from the Diószegh collection held in New York, 18 November 1949.
1961.115
1582
48240
Record Link