Circle of Pedro Berruguete
Christ at the Column with Saints Jerome, Peter, Paul and James
oil on panel
46 x 34.6 cm (18-1/8 x 13-5/8 in); 46.3 x 34.6 cm (18-1/4 x 13-5/8 in); 45.7 x 34.9 cm (18 x 13-3/4 in)
Madrazo Collection, Madrid. Baron Karl Kuffner de Diószegh [1847-1924] Lundenburg-Vienna, and Maria, Gräfin und Herrin von und zu Firmian;  by inheritance to his son Baron Raoul de Kuffner de Diószegh [1886-1961], Hungary and Baroness Kuffner [Tamara de Lempicka, born Maria Gorska]; presumably removed from Castle Diószegh between 1930-1938, and brought to New York;  (Paul Drey Gallery, New York); sold 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift to El Paso Museum of Art in 1961, no. 1961.1.51.  For more information about Karl Kuffner, see Ingrid Ciulisova, Paintings of the 16th Century Netherlandish Masters, Slovak Art Collection, Bratislava 2006, p. 18. See Dutch and Flemish Old Masters, Italian Renaissance Paintings from the Collection of Baron and Baroness Raoul Kuffner de Diószegh removed from the Picture Gallery at Castle de Diószegh near Bratislava, 18 November 1948, Park-Bernet Galleries, New York. According to the note in the sale catalogue, Baron Karl Kuffner, a well-known collector, made his art collection freely accessible to the public. While the paintings in his possession were nearly all collected by Karl, some of them came from his wife's family collection. Countess Firmian was a descendent of Count Leopold Firmian and Count Sigmund Firmian, both Archibishops of Salzburg. Raoul inherited the collection and removed it from the castle between 1930 and 1938. It was then brought to the US in 1939-1940, where Raoul Kuffner moved with his wife Tamara de Lempicka. Objects and paintings from the Kuffner collection were auctioned from 1948 until 1951. This painting is not listed in any of these New York sales. It was probably privately acquired by Paul Drey, who then sold it to Kress in 1948.