Follower of Michelangelo, after the Antique
Apollo and Marsyas
41.2 x 31.4 cm (16 1/4 x 12 3/8 in)
Possibly Bartolomeo Cavaceppi [c. 1716-1799], Rome.  Outside wall of a house on the Lungarno delle Grazie, Florence; acquired from there by Baron Reinhold von Liphart, Dorpat and Munich-Grafeling, by 1891;  on consignment from September 1947 with (Paul Drey, New York);  sold 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.  Johann Joachim Winckelmann, History of Ancient Art, translated by Alexander Gode, New York, 1969: 258.  The sculpture had been discovered in Florence by Liphart's grandfather, Karl Eduard von Liphart (1808-1891), and the grandson's acquisition of the sculpture is described by Wilhelm von Bode, "Eine Marmorkopie Michelangelos nach dem antiken Cameo mit Apollo und Marsyas," Jahrbuch des preussischen Kunstsammlungen 12 (1891): 167. Liphart is also listed as the owner in Amtliche Berichte aus den Königlichen Kunst Sammlungen, 1 July 1891: IV, no. 3, and he is cited as the lender of the sculpture in the catalogue of a 1935 exhibition at the Drey galleries in New York.  A statement by Drey in the dealer's prospectus for the sculpture (in NGA curatorial files) states that it had been "continuously" in his custody from the time it was shipped to New York in 1935 for exhibition, but that the "official permit for sale" was granted in September 1947. Charles de Tolnay's 1943 book, The Youth of Michelangelo (vol. 1 of 5, Princeton, pp. 233-234), lists the sculpture as with a New York dealer at that time, but a note in Drey's prospectus specifically refutes this fact, indicating the sculpture belonged to von Liphart.