Italian 16th Century
The Ship of Love
tempera on panel
63.5 x 74.9 cm (25 x 29-1/2 in)
Otto Lanz [1865-1935], Amsterdam, by 1934.  (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955] Rome-Florence); sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 17 July 1950 as Ercole Roberti;  gift 1961 to the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, Coral Cables, no. 61.032.000.  Lent by Lanz to Italiaansche Kunst in Nederlandsch Bezit, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, 1934, no. 73, as Carpaccio School. Most of the Lanz collection, in storage at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, was sold by his widow, then in Switzerland, under pressure to Hitler in 1941. After the war the collection was recovered by the Allies and restituted to Holland, where some of it was sold but much remained in the possession of the Dutch state. The whereabouts of this painting between its exhibition in 1934 and its sale to Kress in 1950 are unclear - it was not recovered with the Lanz collection and thus not acquired by Hitler, and never sold by the Dutch government. (Correspondence with the Bureau Herkomstgezocht, August 2011). It is possible that this is among the few works the Lanz family was permitted to keep before the collection was turned over to the Germans, or it may also have been in Switzerland at the time of the sale.