Saint Catherine of Alexandria and Saint Jerome
tempera on panel
35.1 x 49 cm (13-3/4 x 19-1/4 in)
Church of San Giorgio, Porto San Giorgio (the port of Fermo); recorded in 1771 and probably remained in the church until it was demolished in 1803; temporarily in the church of the Suffragio, then with the Salvadori family, Porto San Giórgio, by 1832; installed 1834 in the rebuilt church of San Giorgio; sold by Luigi Salvadori, then resold 1835 by the prior of the commune of Porto San Giorgio, to Henry Hudson, Portuguese Embassy, Rome.  William Ward, 11th baron Ward [1817-1885, created 1st earl of Dudley in 1860], Witley Court, Worcestershire, by 1851; (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 7 April 1876, no. 135 [same lot as four other panels from Porto San Giórgio polyptych]); purchased by (Martin Colnaghi, London).  (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955], Rome-Florence); sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 1 July 1950; on loan to Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City in 1952 - 1960; returned to the Kress Foundation; gift 1961 to Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa, no. 1961.9.32.  According to Pietro Zampetti, Carlo Crivelli, Florence, 1986: 254-255, after a statue of Saint George was installed on the high altar of the rebuilt church, the polyptych was returned to the Salvadori family, who sold it to the collector Hudson. Contesting the Salvadori, the prior of Porto San Giorgio claimed ownership for the commune, and resold the painting to Hudson for a higher price.  Algernon Graves, Art Sales From Early in the Eighteenth Century to Early in the Twentieth Century, 3 vols., London, 1918-1923: 1:184.