Studio of Canaletto
The Riva Deglischiavoni, Looking West
oil on canvas
125 x 203.7 cm (49-1/4 x 80-1/4 in)
Baron Luwig von Schacky auf Schönfeld; (his sale, Lepke's, Berlin, 10 March 1914, no. 59). Dr. Eduard Simon [1864-1929], Berlin; Theodor Ernst Simon, Berlin, by 1925; (his sale, Cassirer, Berlin, 5 November 1929, no. 130); (Bachstitz Gallery, The Hague, The Netherlands); sold May 1936 to (Franz Zatzenstein, Matthiesen Gallery London) in May 1936.  (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955], Rome-Florence); sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 1 July 1950 as Studio of Canaletto; gift 1961 to the Seattle Art Museum in 1961, no. 61.148.  According to the Bachstitz inventory card, Ru No. 1362, in the Bachstitz archive at the Rijksbureau voor Kunsthistorisches Documentatie (RKD) in The Hague, the Canaletto was sold in June 1931 by Bachstitz to the Kansas City Museum together with a painting by Wouwerman. It was returned on January 26 1933 or 22 June 1934 and in May 1936 it was sold to Zatzenstein in London.