click image to enlarge

Bernardo Bellotto
The Marketplace at Pirna

K1914
3146
Italian
c. 1764
oil on canvas
Painting
48.4 x 79.6 cm (19 x 31-3/8 in)
Catherine II of Russia [1729-1796]; Frederick II of Prussia [1744-1797]; Prussian Royal Collections; Niederländisches Palais, Berlin. (Hugo Moser) in 1919; Duke of Anhalt-Dessau; (Caspari, Munich) 1930. [1] Max Emden [1874-1940], Brissago/Porto Ronco, Switzerland; sold 1938 through (Caspari, Munich) to (Karl Haberstock, Berlin and London). [2] Munich Central Collecting Point, no. 4111; restituted 15 April 1946 to Holland; returned to (Hugo Moser, New York). The Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, no. 61.71.

[1] Exhibited in the Ausstellung venezianischer Malerie at the Galerie Caspari, Munich, in October 1930.
[2] Haberstock owned two versions of this work, having acquired the second version from Arthur Tooth in London in 1939. He retained this version until 1941 when he sent it to his bank depository in Tegernsee, Germany. Its wartime fate is unknown and it is possible that the provenances of the two versions have become confused.
61.71
1914
Record Link