Jacob van Ruisdael
oil on canvas
99.8 x 86.8 cm (39-1/4 x 34-1/8 in)
Hon. Alwyn Henry Fulke Greville [1854-1929], Warwick Castle, Warwickshire; (sale, Christie's, London, 20 June 1896, no. 40); bought by (Charles Sedelmeyer [d. 1925], Paris);  George Grant Mason [1870-1955] Tuxedo Park, NY; (Schaeffer Galleries, New York); sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 8 February 1955; gift to the Allentown Art Museum in 1961, no. 1961.53.  Buyer and seller confirmed by annotated auctioneer catalogue, Christie's Archive, London. Schaeffer's brochure gives the Earl of Warwick as an owner after Alwyn Henry Fulke Greville, the younger brother of the 5th Earl Warwick [1853-1924], but it seems more likely that the Earl would have owned the painting prior to his younger brother who outlived him and sold it at Christie's in 1896. The painting was not published in Sedelmeyer's catalogues 1896-1898.