German 15th Century
Royal Saint with Ring (Saint Oswald?)
oil and gilding on panel
52 x 17.1 cm (20-1/2 x 6-3/4 in)
Princes of Liechtenstein, Schloss Seebenstein, Lower Austria, from c. 1850.  Acquired early 1955 by (Schaeffer Galleries, New York);  sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 8 February 1955 as Cologne Master; gift 1973 to David and Alfred Smart Museum of Art, University of Chicago, no.1973.52.  According to a letter from the director of the Liechtenstein collection dated 13 January 1969.  See correspondence between Schaeffer Galleries and Erwin Panofsky, dating 25 January - 14 February 1955, Erwin Panovsky Papers, Archives of American Art, reel 2124.