The Grand Canal from the Campo San Vio
oil on canvas
114 x 161.3 cm (44-3/8 x 63-3/8 in)
According to family tradition painted for George Proctor [d. 1744], of Langley Park, Norfolk, England, while residing in Venice in ca. 1740; by inheritance to his nephew Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor,1st Bart. [1722-1773], Langley Park; by inheritance to Sir Thomas Beauchamp-Proctor, 2nd Bart. [1756-1827], Langley Park; by inheritance to Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor, 3rd Bart. [1781-1861], Langley Park; by inheritance to Sir Thomas William Brograve Proctor-Beauchamp 4th Bart. [1815-1874], Langley Park; by inheritance to Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp, 5th Bart. [1853-1912], Langley Park; by inheritance to Mrs. Sheila Ginevra Hilda Mary [Barker-Hahlo] Beauchamp [d. 1953], Langley Park and The Cottage, Bergh Apton, Norwich, Norfolk; (sale by the Trustees of Sir Reginald Proctor-Beauchamp, Sotheby's, London, 11 June 1947, no. 26); Hon. R.F. Watson; (sold, Sotheby's, London, 23 March 1955, no. 20); Betts; (David Koester Gallery, New York); sold to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation on 14 January 1957; gift 1961 to the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, no. MBMA 61.216. According to the research undertaken by the curatorial staff of Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, the curator of European Art had viewed the will in England that gifted the painting directly from George Proctor to his nephew, Sir William Beauchamp-Proctor,1st Bart.