tempera on panel
30.2 x 21 cm (11-7/8 x 8-1/4 in)
Possibly commissioned as part of an altarpiece for the high altar of the monastery of San Donato, Scopeto, Florence, in 1496 and dispersed when altarpiece was dismembered before 1666. Possibly Aldrovandi.  (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi) Rome-Florence [1878-1955]; sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 10 July 1935; gift to the National Gallery of Art in 1939; deaccessioned in 1952 and returned to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift to North Carolina Museum of Art in 1961, no. GL.60.17.27.  Fern Shapley, Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection, Italian Schools XIII - XV Century, London, 1966, p. 136 places the Aldrovandi family in Florence, but according to Vittorio Spreti, Enciclopedia storico-nobiliare italiana, the Aldrovandi family is in Bologna. Likewise all the references to Aldrovandi in Elizabeth E. Gardner,A Bibliographical Repertory of Italian Private Collections. 4 vols. Edited by Chiara Ceschi and Katharine Baetjer. Vicenza, 1998-2011: 1(1998):22-23 are located in Bologna, with the exception of the two Kress pictures.
Gift to National Gallery of Art, June 29, 1939
Deaccession by National Gallery of Art, October 15, 1952
Gift to North Carolina Museum of Art, December 09, 1961