The Miracle of the Catafalque (panel B)
tempera on panel
26 x 31.8 cm (10-1/4 x 12-1/2 in)
Commissioned, together with main altarpiece depicting the Assumption of the Virgin, c. 1488-1490 by the Canons Regular of the Lateran of San Giovanni in Monte, Bologna, for the Abbey Church of Santa Maria Assunta, Monteveglio, Bologna. Mrs. B. W. Currier, England, by 1894;  (Christie's, London, 14 May 1926, no. 54 as Luigi Vivarini); (Dean); Briganti Collection, Rome; (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955], Rome-Florence); sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 20 October 1937;gift to to National Gallery of Art in 1939; deaccessioned in 1952 and returned to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift to North Carolina Museum of Art in 1961, no. GL.60.17.37.  Lent to The New Gallery, London, 1894-1895, no. 6, as The Death of the Virgin (Three Panels).
Gift to National Gallery of Art, June 29, 1939
Deaccession by National Gallery of Art, October 15, 1952
Gift to North Carolina Museum of Art, December 09, 1961