about 1512 / 1523
tempera on panel
88.4 x 70.7 cm (34-3/4 x 27-7/8 in)
Sant’Agostino, Perugia. taken to France, 1797. Private Collection, Paris, 1850. .St. Gervais, Paris, 1912-1914.  (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi [1878-1955], Rome-Florence); sold to Samuel H. Kress [1863-1955] on 16 September 1938; gift to the National Gallery of Art in 1939; deaccessioned in 1952 and returned to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift to Birmingham Museum of Art in 1961, no. 61.103.  Cited as in the Louvre by Otto Mündler, Essai d'une analyse critique de la notice des tableaux italiens du Musée du Louvre, 1850, p. 161.  According to W. Bombe, Geschichte der Peruginer Malerei bis zu Perugino und Pinturicchio auf Grund des Nachlasses Adamo Rossis und eigener archivalischer Forschungen, Berlin, Cassirer, 1912, p. 213, and J.A. Crowe and G.B. Cavalcaselle, A history of painting in Italy, Umbria, Florence and Siena, from the Second to the Sixteenth century, London, 1914, p. 353, p. 511. Additionally, both U. Gnoli, Pietro Perugino, Spoleto, 1923, p.61, and F. Canuti, Il Perugino, Siena, 1931, vol. 1, 218, and vol. 2, 367, indicated the painting was in the Musée du Louvre. However, the Louvre notation was cited as erroneous by E. Camesasca, Tutta la pittura del Perugino, Milan, 1959,p. 131 and C. Castellaneta and E. Camesasca, L'Opera completa del Perugino, Milan, 1969, p. 116.
Gift to National Gallery of Art, June 29, 1939
Deaccession by National Gallery of Art, February 21, 1952
Gift to Birmingham Museum of Art, December 09, 1961