Florentine 15th Century
57 x 63.8 x 27.9 cm (22 7/16 x 25 1/8 x 11 in)
Ginori Palace, Florence; Princes of Liechtenstein, Vienna;  Clarence H. Mackay [1874-1938], Roslyn, New York, by 1926;  acquired from his estate in May 1939 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris) as by Benndetto da Maiano;  sold 1939 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to NGA.  The original Duveen prospectus, in NGA curatorial files, states that the bust was in the "Linori[sic] family of Florence in whose possession it has been from the time it was executed (about 1475) until the eighteenth century, when it was acqured by Prince Liechtenstein...in whose palace, in Vienna, it remained until it passed into the Mackay Collection."  W.R.Valentiner, The Clarence H. Mackay Collection: Italian Schools, New York, 1926: no. 15.  Duveen Brothers Records, Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles, Acc. no. 960015, Series II.1 Collectors Files, Mackay, Clarence H. 9.