Andrea del Sarto
oil on panel
119.5 x 92.5 cm (47 1/16 x 36 7/16 in)
Commissioned by Giambattista della Palla, agent for the King of France, who was apparently imprisoned before the painting was completed. The widow of Andrea del Sarto [d. 1530]; Domenico Conti, Florence, by 1550;  Niccolò Antinori, Florence, by 1550 until at least 1568. Bastiano Antinori, Florence, by 1584. Prince Rospigliosi, Rome; in 1827 to John Proctor Anderdon, London and Farley Hall, Berkshire, England; (Anderdon sale, Christie's, London, 15 May 1847, no. 34, bought in); (Anderdon sale, Christie's, London, 24 May 1851, no. 66, bought in). (Anonymous sale, London, 1856, bought in). Possibly P. Hinds, in 1859. (Anonymous sale, London, 1860); possibly purchased by Ripp.  Hugh Andrew Johnstone Munro of Novar [d. 1865], London and Novar, Highland, Scotland; (Munro sale, Christie's, London, 1 June 1878, no. 101); purchased by Permain. Presumably Thomas Humphrey Ward [1845-1926], Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England; (David M. Koetser Gallery, New York, London, and Zurich); sold 1954 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1957 to NGA.  According to G. Vasari, Le Vite, Milan, 1880: 5:50.  On the preceding two sales, see G. Redford, Art Sales, London, 1888: 2:251 and A. Graves, Art Sales From Early in the Eighteenth Century to Early in the Twentieth Century, London, 1921: 3:140.  According to W.E. Suida and F.R. Shapley, Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection, Washington, 1956: 22.