Master of the David and Saint John Statuettes
late 15th - early 16th century
50 x 17.4 cm (19 11/16 x 6 7/8 in)
Louis Félix, vicomte de Nolivos [1805-after 1867], Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 19-20 January 1866, no. 44); Eugene Piot [1812-1890], Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 23 April 1870, no. 7);  Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 with the entire Dreyfus collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 1941 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1943 to NGA.  The early provenance was kindly provided by Marie-Amélie Carlier (e-mail of 12 October 2007 to Nicholas Penny, in NGA curatorial files).  Purchase date by Kress Foundation according to Ulrich Middeldorf, Complete Catalogue of the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Sculptures XIV-XIX Century, London, 1976: 42.