Probably Flemish 16th Century, after a model by Leone Leoni
Emperor Charles V
109 x 56 x 42.1 cm (42 15/16 x 22 1/16 x 16 9/16 in)
Imperial Palace, Vienna, from before 1874; Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, from 1920;  sold February 1952 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.  See affidavit dated 21 October 1953 from the Director of the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna (copy in NGA curatorial files). The sculpture "belonged from times immemorial to the imperial property and was adjudged to the complex of 'state property serving for purposes of the Court' ('hofärarischer Besitz') in 1874." It was placed on "permanent loan" to the Kunsthistorisches Museum in 1920, and an order from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education on 13 December 1937 transferred the sculpture permanently to the museum.